Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #1
racegirl

Talking MythBusters Convertible Car in Rain

Did anyone watch MythBusters yesterday? Go check it out if you haven't. It's not a Boxster, but a 911 Cabriolet. Neverthless, it was fun!

The myth is: if one drives a convertible with top down fast enough, he won't get wet. Don't read below if you want to watch the show without spoiler.

[*** spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler ***]
To test the myth, they loaned a 911 Cabriolet and found a "driving expert" who trained emergency personnel how to drive to train the show crews. They first played around in a wet parking lot telling people how dangerous hydroplaning is (though it looked like fun to me ) The real test was conducted in Alameda (the autocross site?) if I heard it right.

If one stopped the car to pull up the top, he got soapy wet. Starting from 25mph, the amount of rain fell into the cabin reduced. At 90mph, the cabin was all dry!!! They also did a big spin at 120mph, wohoo~

The slow motion video showing the water being diverted around the cabin without dropping to the passenger was cool to see.
[*** spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler ***]

For those who are physics minded, this is Bernoulli's principle in play.
Track setup: Toyo R888, Pagid pads: RS-29 yellow (front) & RS-14 black (rear)
racegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #2
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegirl View Post
The myth is: if one drives a convertible with top down fast enough, he won't get wet. Don't read below if you want to watch the show without spoiler.
If they'd have just asked, we coulda saved them the cost of doing a show.

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Jeanne T

Me too. I'm celebrating my year anniversary with the 2003 Boxster S on Saturday. Drove home from the bay area up I-5 in a rainstorm with the windshield wipers on and the top down. It was dry. In my old 356 B I had a spell when the windshield wipers didn't work, and if you went fast enough the windshield stayed clear, with the drops washing upwards. I spent today doing the clay bar thing and making it clean, and I plan on having fun getting it dirty. 75,000+ miles.
Jeanne T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #4
ChrisZang

Didn't work too well for me :(

Greetings from Thunderhill (Willows)

On my way to Willows I was just treated to something you don't see too often:
* A Thunderstorm
* In California
* In the Summer

Well I figured let's give it a try
I was going steady 75 mph (yes I know in the Mythbusters episode they were going 90). After 30 seconds I had to pull over and put the top up
In all fairness I have to admit that I was in the middle of a storm and the rain came from all directions

I hope it won't rain tomorrow & Sunday

Greetings
Chris
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:39 AM   #5
mikefocke

Always worked for me until I came to a stoplight. As long as it was light rain. Often I'd just keep running till I came to a bridge under which I could put up the top.

In some of my older '60s roadsters that had tonneau covers, I used to delight in running around with the top down when it was snowing...heat wafting up around me as the passenger portion of the cabin was covered.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM   #6
70Sixter

Coming from San Diego to NC in 88 I found that stopping to put the top on was not necessary. I figured (in Southern Utah) I'd just drive until I HAD to put the top on. Ran into sunshine before I had to put it on.

Doing a bit north of the posted limit seemed to help even more.

And according to Brenoulli the low pressure are in the cabin should suck the beer out of your bottle. No I'd never try that. Really.
PCA since 1970

http://www.babblers.org/forums/vbgoo...597656&zoom=14
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7
River Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter View Post

And according to Brenoulli the low pressure are in the cabin should suck the beer out of your bottle.
Not possible. I'd have already consumed the entire contents.

More please!
Old February 28th, 2022, 09:20 PM   #8
anjumufa3

I used to delight in running around with the top down when it was snowing...heat wafting up around me as the passenger portion of the cabin was covered.
dry rot
anjumufa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2022, 10:08 AM   #9
jivannuno255

It is pleasing to look you express from the heart and your clarity on this significant content can be easily looked.
David
jivannuno255 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.