Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #1
speed merchant

Angry Cosmoline is not my friend,

Hi fellow Boxster owners. I took delivery of my right off the ship Boxster S last Friday. I have an issue that needs addressing. The car is GREAT!, but I don"t want to keep the cosmoline that Porsche sprays sloppily on the bottom of the engine and running gear. It is ugly and covers the magnificant workmanship of the beautiful suspension and engine.
It is a mess to get off, with much, much time and effort. Does anyone know of a cleaning agent or material that will help speed up taking it off? I have phoned the dealer and a couple of detail shops, but they could't help me. Do any of you with your vast knowledge of these magical matters, know what I can use for this? Help, Help!

Speed Merchant
speed merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #2
dougmack

Cosmoline Removal

Although I haven't tried it myself, I've heard that Wurth's Citrus Degreaser removes cosmoline. I think you can get it at Car Care Online.

Doug
dougmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #3
newt

any good degreaser will take it off, varisol works good, diesel fuel works too but you have to use a littel more elbow grease...
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Macster

Cosmoline is your friend because it keeps all those nice...

aluminum pieces looking nice.

Sans any plating (anodizing), paint, bare aluminum can get pretty grungy looking in no time.

For cleaning cosmo off of machine tools I used diesel fuel, but that's kind of harsh to use cleaning the Boxster engine and suspension components.

At other times, I've used a mixture of Gunk and kerosene but still that's pretty harsh.

You might have success with just Gunk alone. I use the Gunk that comes in an aerosol can (buy several!) and it rinses/washes away with plain water.

You might need to spray some on, then take a relative soft scrub brush to remove the cosmo, then rinse.

Let dry before you apply more Gunk.

Don't let car sit still and dry, though. You should start engine and drive car to ensure you drive all moisture from engine, and all drivetrain/brake components.

Once engine hot, park car, let cool down and then repeat the cleaning process as many times as necessary to get the stuff off.

The hard to reach places may require you get under car and use a rag or smaller brush (toothbrush?) to get the stuff all off. Keep the stuff out of your eyes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #5
speed merchant

Thanks for all of your advice. I am in the process of using much hand work plus some of the products suggested the make the beautiful rear suspension shiny and new looking. I think it is worth the effort. If you remove the unsightly cosmoline, you can appreciate the great suspension and engine it masks.
Porsches are pretty to me, mechanically as well as esthetically. I have always been an admirer of trick suspension pieces. The Boxster rear suspension is very well engineered and LIGHT! These things are part of what we pay for in a well engineered purposeful sprorts car like this. It has less compromise and more purpose. I admire it. It is beautiful to look at, even under the bodywork. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Speed Merchant
speed merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Gary 48

Oh man! heck no one sees this part of the car and the cosmoline does such a good job of protecting alum. Cleaning it is kind of like a effort in futility, sort of like wetting your pants in a brown suit, gives you a warm feeling but no body seems to notice. The Boxter is not about showing off the engine and probably the only production car in existance to do so.
Gary 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2021, 07:02 AM   #7
richardsjenkins70

I am in the process of using much hand work plus some of the products suggested the make the beautiful rear suspension shiny and new looking.

- Retaining Walls
richardsjenkins70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2021, 02:00 AM   #8
looneyhans

Awesome! Learned alot thanks so much keep posting more.
https://sandblastingvancouverwa.com
looneyhans is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.