Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #1
WC13

White Smoke

I started up my car yesterday morning and a large amount of white-ish smoke came out of the exhaust. I reved the engine a couple times and more smoke came out (not near as much white concentration). I had planned to detail the interior, so I went to it and tried not to think about the smoke.

Once I was done (about 1-2 hours later), I started it up again and this time there was no real noticable smoke. I reved it a couple times and I could notice a trace of white, but not near the same amount as earlier.

I just had the car out on Friday, so it did not sit for an extended period of time. The only differences between the two times I started it are: 1) air temp. (it was about 35 degrees and in the garage the first time and around 45 and in the sun the second) and 2) the incline. My garage is flat and my driveway has a slight incline, so the back end was slightly lower while detailing.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be? I had the RMS replaced in Nov or Dec. To my knowledge it is the only time this was replaced. The car is still under warranty, so I could bring it in, but wanted to have some sort of idea as to what it may be first.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

The quick answers is "Relax, it's normal."

Of course this is sort of an "it depends" answer as well. If the smoke had an oil smell to it then it really is normal for this to happen from time to time. Mine has blown a huge cloud of blue-white (or white-blue - take your pick) smoke on occasion. There's no real rhyme or reason as to when it's going to happen and is due to the flat-6 design.

If it happens on a regular basis then you may be encountering more of a real problem. If it really pours out smoke then it's likely the oil separator - but there's usually no real doubt when that fails.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #3
WC13

Thanks!!

I wasn't "OH MY GOD" concerned since it went away (for the most part) the second time I started it, but I knew that the great knowledge base on this forum would have insight and let me know if it was a major problem.

Thanks for your help Tom!
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #4
RNajarian

Yea Tom's the man. He's calmed me down on many an occasion. I was worried when he was having concerns with his car that he would get a 997 and leave us behind.
1975 911 Targa Guards Red
1983 911 SC Guards Red (RIP)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman