Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 13th, 2002, 10:52 PM   #1
Jim

OBC Hack for '02 S for a newbie

Ok, I've had my car long enough (3 weeks) its time to do one of these OBC hacks. All the sites I have been to explain how and what parts are needed to do it for models earlier than '01, I have a '02. Are the parts the same? Installation the same? Taking the steering wheel off do I have to worry about the safety bag? Is Carlsen Porsche one of the "preferred dealerships" to turn this thing on? So many questions....By the looks of reading through this board, everyone probably has done it to theirs already. Anyone need/want any more practice?
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:05 PM   #2
RobynC

I'm with you on this one...

I have an 02 S as well...would love to do the hack. I've missed the past OBC Parties...anyone game?
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:07 PM   #3
Jim

Re: I'm with you on this one...

Just one request, I'll be on vacation from 08/15 - 08/27. Maybe something after that....??
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:11 PM   #4
Tool Pants

Re: OBC Hack for '02 S for a newbie

It is the same for '02 as '01. The only difference w/ '02 is the part number for the column switches because of the matt finish. Very few Babblers have not already done it with a switch or the stalk. The last one was Josh's '02 we did a few weeks ago.

Any dealer can turn it on - I type as I laugh. Otherwise you have to see Peter.
Old August 14th, 2002, 01:51 AM   #5
Joe Yang (Castro Valley)

Re: I am ready when you are...

How about last weekend of August (8/31)?
Old August 14th, 2002, 07:28 AM   #6
JoshS

how about after the picnic on the 25th?? *NM*

Old August 14th, 2002, 07:34 AM   #7
JoshS

Yes, yes, kinda, NO!, no, YES...

Same parts, same installation. The airbag just pop right off after prying off the connector in the back. What you do have to worry about are the springs and the 4 clips... break them and it will cost you $200+ to replace. Just bring it to Peter at AB... I had a hell of a time trying to get anybody else to turn it on.
Old August 14th, 2002, 08:45 AM   #8
Chatter Box

I've got some parts you can have.

I never ended up using any of my own radio shack parts and I had to buy them all in bulk anyway. You need to provide your own switch or stalk and the VW wires. I have the rest and plenty of it. As long as you do the hack day when I can be there, you can have my stuff. I should have left it all with TP since he has a much better attendance record than I do.
Old August 14th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #9
Eddie from SoCal

Robyn, I wonder if it will be different for you b/c Turbo gauges??

Or did you only change the faces? I forsee another challenge for TP!
Old August 14th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #10
RobynC

Good point, but no, I believe the opening for where the ...

display is, is the same as before. Shouldn't be any different. And I only changed the faces.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman