Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 3rd, 2001, 09:18 PM   #1
Brian Eddy

Flat Tire!

I got a flat tire today exiting Calaveras road heading toward 84. I didn't realize this until about 5 miles later however (it was the back rear). A couple of questions -
1 ) Is there a warranty on tires? The car is 7 months old, with a little over 3000 miles on it.
2 ) Any suggestions on where I should take it to get it fixed?
3 ) The tire is the Dunlop Sport 9090 (265-35-18"). Any suggestions where to get a new one?

Thanks -
Old September 3rd, 2001, 09:30 PM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Re: Flat Tire!

Good thing you're OK (and the car) - you never know what will happen when you get a flat, especially at speed.

What caused the flat?
What's the damage to the tire?
That will determine if it can be fixed (plugged and patched).
If you need to replace it, go to www.tirerack.com and shop for a new one. You should be OK with a new tire and your "used" tire with 3,000 miles on it.
Old September 4th, 2001, 08:28 AM   #3
Brian Eddy

The flat was caused by a U-Shaped piece of metal that was extremely sharp - both ends of the U punctured the tread in the middle of the tire. My guess is that it was a piece of a "bots dot" - I think it happened at the stop sign on Calaveras, where you turn onto the 680 exit.

I'm nervous about trying to plug it since I did drive on it for several miles - I'm worried about sidewall damage that may not be visible.

By the way, the 18" rear tires do not fit in the front trunk.
Old September 4th, 2001, 08:39 AM   #4
Tool Pants

No warranty for flat tires. Tire shop is going to have to open it up to see if it can be fixed, more so since you drove with the flat. Drop the wheel off at Custom Alignment in Mountain View. If you need a new tire from tire rack they drop ship to Custom Alignment in 2 days if your new tire is in stock.

Jeff
Old September 4th, 2001, 08:54 AM   #5
Brian Eddy

So you recommend Custom Alignment?
Old September 4th, 2001, 09:24 AM   #6
Tool Pants

Yes, as do others

I had my car aligned there, and the Babblers went to a tech session there. Yoseif just had a flat repaired there, but he did not dive on it. We got to see all the stuff you need to know about flat repairs at the tech session.

Jeff
Old September 4th, 2001, 10:04 AM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Yes, Custom Alignment is as good as it gets...

here in the SF Bay Area. They know their stuff when it comes to suspensions, alignments, tires, and the like.

Go see/call Joe Silva, the owner.
Old September 4th, 2001, 03:49 PM   #8
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

When I dropped my car off there a few weeks ago...

... I heard Joe talking to someone in your situation. In his case, the tire was damaged and needed to be replaced. They could see the damage once they popped it off the rim.
Old September 5th, 2001, 03:32 PM   #9
Brian Eddy

Thanks

Well, the wheel/tire is at Custom Alignment. now I find out if you guys know what you're talking about :-)
Old September 5th, 2001, 11:19 PM   #10
Tool Pants

Please don't forget a report Brian *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman