Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 5th, 2001, 11:06 AM   #1
Boxster Spice

PPBB.

Looks like I'll be joining Dan in banned land soon. They keep removing my reply to Rob in Houston and leaving his in so I keep reposting. Of course, at some point you'd think at least one of us would have enough maturity to drop it but ... I don't understand why the deputies are objecting to my response to his idiocy.

*** This message has beed edited for content ***
Old October 5th, 2001, 11:18 AM   #2
Boxster Spice

I get it, now. Rob is a deputy.

He's personally removing my half of the argument I was having with him. That's nice.
Old October 5th, 2001, 01:01 PM   #3
Boxster Spice

My final post on PPBB, read it hear as it will be deleted soon there. LONG

The subj line on PPBB is "Here's my new conspiracy theory, Mr. Granger." You can read the posts leading up to this discourse between Rob in Houston and me but this individual post will likely be deleted soon. To briefly elaborate on what is going on...

Someone asked how to make his car accelerate faster. Rob responded by saying he should have bought an American car. I disagreed by saying that it's okay to want a Boxster as a starting point and just improve that one aspect of it. He then replied rudely and switched his screen name to "asdfasdfasdfasdf" but he forgot to delete his email address. He posted virtually the same thing but with less offensive language as himself just 6 minutes later. I replied that if he wanted anonymity, he should delete his email address. He then poked fun and said I was looking for a conspiracy and that he just used 2 different machines and wasn't trying to hide. I responded in my own defense and he subsequently deleted my post (I reposted 4 times) while leaving his post untouched. Here is the text from my new and last PPBB post...

My new conspiracy theory is that you make some offensive statements to me and when I respond to them, you take advantage of your role as deputy and delete my defense. In the past, Skyler and I have argued, but at least when he deleted my post, he was respectful enough and man enough to delete his own, too.

You posted twice in 6 minutes. Once with a fake name, once with your real name. If didn't have the time to enter anything besides "asdfasdf...", then why did you have the time to type in your email address on both? And why did you feel the need to repost virtually the same stuff in 2 different posts, except that the post with your actual identity was cleaned up and less offensive?

You are using this public forum as a means to insult users and present that as a discussion in and of itself. It's not a discussion unless both sides are heard. You have neither the tact, nor the humility required to properly act as deputy.

So make fun of me if you will, but I know what happened and I know what and who you really are.
Old October 5th, 2001, 02:17 PM   #4
Patrick

For what it's worth...

First off, I'm a Boxster gonna-be- (haven't found my Boxster yet) and I actively ready both this board and PPBB each and every day to gleam whatever Boxster info I can until I take the plunge and actually buy one.

I have to say that the Babblers Board rules in the sense that you all seem like a great group of people and show respect for each other.

PPBB is a free-4-all (IMHO). I read it because of the sheer volume of information, but much of it I filter out (especially the personal comments). Im sure that Id be banned from that board quickly if I spoke my mind. I get a big smile when I read "It's the people"... more like "It's about some of the people" (smile)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1

Thanks for keeping it positive!

Patrick
Old October 5th, 2001, 02:35 PM   #5
Boxster Spice

My apologies to PPBB and Rob.

I just posted something similar on PPBB after speaking (emailing) with some of the deputies as well as Rob himself.

It turns out that Rob wasn't removing my posts because I disagreed with him but the other deputies were doing it because I used the "S" word. I really didn't know that was forbidden, but anyway, that appears to have been it.

I shouldn't have brought my rants over here. I just wanted to share my experience with others who have been bitten by the PPBB brand of justice and have been bothered by the deputies' decisions in the past.

But, mainly, I do not know for a fact that Rob was trolling when he posted as "asdfasdf..." and might as well give him the benefit of the doubt.

What prompted me to make this retraction is that I since have seen them leave my post "my latest theory" on the board and even deleted Rob's reply to that before I could read it. I felt bad after that and requested that he remove my rant. And I wanted to let everyone here know that my judgement was clouded in my earlier posts.
Old October 5th, 2001, 02:57 PM   #6
jonathan

Re: For what it's worth

Feel free to speak your mind anywhere, including PPBB, just don't devolve to vulgarity and you'll be fine. If you let your opponent get under your skin then you both lose.
Old October 5th, 2001, 05:41 PM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

Not exactly...

take it from me - I have first-hand experience of the wrath of, as Scott (Boxster Spice) put it, "the PPBB brand of justice." It's about a lot more than vulgarity. And it's certainly not about the value of your posts or the quantity of them.

It's all about how a very few people think their worldwide car board should be run. Hey, it's their property - they can do what they like with it. I just think it's a shame that they've taken a good idea and corrupted it. But on the bright side, they've made their board a learning center - they teach visitors things like:

* What happens when intolerance and the ability to censor/ban people are combined.
* To err is human, to forgive is divine, and to be intolerant is a trait shared by board management.
* Why we should all value freedom of speech.
* Why minors shouldn't be deputies on boards where adults are the overwhelming majority.
* That it's a problem when the most prolific poster is a highly opinionated deputy. (There's nothing wrong with being highly opinionated, or a prolific poster, or a deputy, but not all three!).

It's a car board for Pete's sake (big grin)" WIDTH=15 HEIGHT=1 Think about your experiences - what have the conversations been like when you've been with a bunch of fellow Boxster/car enthusiasts? Have you seen a need for censors in the parking lots at TBHL or BRBS? I can't imagine that.

I do want to thank them for making such a huge contribution to this board. If it wasn't for them, this board wouldn't have the traffic it does.

And it's intersting that this board has one censor, er, sheriff while their's has a whole team of 'em. To use a car analogy - that board has a "speed limit" of about 35mph while this one is pretty much unlimited. It sure is a lot more fun going fast!

Disclaimers:

1. The author of this post has been one of two people (BABBLERS) banned from that board since April 2001 - heck, criminals get lighter "sentences."

2. The opinons expressed in this e-mail are shared by a good number of people who don't/won't express themselves publicly. As a result, they're still able to post over there.
Old October 5th, 2001, 08:31 PM   #8
Rob in Houston

It was about vulgarity.... Scott is free to disagree with me...

and I may have come back on him harder that I should have for calling me a troll. He jumped to conclusions and I jumped the gun. I hope that he and I have come to a mutual understanding and disarmament, at least I think that we have. Please don't try and make this out to be more than it was. I have been able to read Scott's posts, he can more than hold his own without your assistance, trust me! My apologies again to Scott (Boxster Spice).
Old October 5th, 2001, 08:57 PM   #9
Rob in Houston

Second point.... Why are you so obsessed with PPBB....

Gee, there have been scores if not hundreds of posts between you have Jeff demonizing, belittling and insulting those that run and maintain PPBB - Why would you even care that you you can't post there? I just don't understand this, maybe you can explain it to me? You send emails asking to be allowed back and then before the electrons have faded from the Ethernet, you are back here bashing PPBB and everyone associated with it - are you trying to help or hurt your cause? I will give you one thing, you do have a flair for the melodramatic and a gift of imagination.
Old October 5th, 2001, 09:18 PM   #10
Rob in Houston

Third point.......

* I don't know, maybe those that can't follow the rules after years of pleading from the deputies get banned?
* Have you forgiven those that trespassed against you? No - seems like you still are holding a grudge.
* You do have freedom of speech! see you are getting this all off your chest here. While those on the other board don't have to listen.
* As far as having a minor for a deputy, he has been on the board for longer that almost everyone - do you not like young people has he done something to offend you - why are you picking on a kid? I don't see the logic?
* Have you checked the stats on this board? Remember your opinion of whom is high opinionated is highly opinionated in itself. Sorry Tom, you have to quit now, but you can come post over at PPBB anytime.

You are welcome, we try and point a lot of folks over here. Links you yours and Jeff's posts are often duplicated over at PPBB. Tom does a super job and you guys are very fortunate to have a well run regional board.

Please don't try and make this an Us and Them deal, because it is not. Heck there is even some of my code running behind these screens that you have free benefit of every day. There is no war Dan, why must you insist on trying to get others to go off tipping at windmills with you?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman