Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 10th, 2002, 04:45 PM   #1
JoshS

Garage door opener hack

Anybody tried to retrofit a garage door opener from either a BMW or Audi homelink module? The units were really simple to hook up in my old 330i and they cost less than $100. Just need to figure out what's what on the homelink harness... maybe get power from the visor mirror light? What do you guys think?
Old July 10th, 2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Loren

Yup...

Actually, I've considered buying (from a wrecking yard) a Jeep Grand Cherokee sun visor with the homelink built in. My wife would be really upset if I took the one out of her GC
Should be a bunch of these available (and cheaper than a BMW one). It should be simple enough to transplant -- power and ground.

Loren

Old July 11th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #3
Paul in CA

When is Sharky's gadget ready for beta?

I can be volunteer.
Old July 11th, 2002, 11:00 AM   #4
Tool Pantsİ

Re: When is Sharky's gadget ready for beta?

I think he gave up as there were too many different garage door openers.
Old July 11th, 2002, 06:15 PM   #5
x99shark

au contraire

That was a big problem at first. The "universal" openers were universally unreliable and that leaves you with supporting multiple models. So it took forever to test and verify all the various parts to support different doors but thats what we're going to do. I have a number of units working right now.

I have to redesign the web site for a more sophisticated order processing system so you can specify your garage door type(s). I've been hacking away with StoreFront 5.0 for about a week now.

Any single sesame unit will support two different garage door types that you can select from a menu of several at order time.

I'm nuking PayPal also and going with real credit card processing through VeriSign's secure service. Adding user selectable UPS shipping and a bunch of other features.

I'm going to wrap up beta tests and start shipping aug 15th. (really!!!!) A major discount will be available to TouchTop owners.

Look for the 1/3 page color ad coming up in Excellence magazine, and other ads in Panorama and elsewhere.

ciao
-Ed
Old July 11th, 2002, 06:21 PM   #6
x99shark

oh, by the way

yep, I am looking for a few more beta people to test my sub-assemblies. Please email me with your garage door opener type (as much information as you can possibly gather, including approximate year it was bought). If I don't have coverage for that unit, I'll want to beta you in. You'll get a subassembly to test and return and an offer for a massivly discounted end product when it ships.
I hope that offer is attractive enough. I don't have the coin right now to pony up too many free units. BTW, I quit my day job and bet the farm on Sharkworks. knock on wood.

[email protected]
-Ed
Old July 12th, 2002, 01:08 PM   #7
Chatter Box

PA is doing mine.

I talked to Ed about his system because I'm very interested in incorporating a garage door opener into one of my toggles in the dash. But I don't have a "garage door type". I have a remote that opens a gate to my building's garage. To further complicate things, it's one of the random number generating types.

But when I was at PA recently, I saw a 996TT from Lmo in the shop getting the garage door treatment. The take your existing remote and wire it into one of your dashboard toggles. Had I known in advance, I would have done it right then. I came home, gave my owner's association office $50 for an additional remote and the next time I go down to LA, I'm having Jamey install it for me. I'm going to have it incorporated into the car's internal power rather than running on a battery.

Granted, Toolpants types would just hack it and do it themselves but I'm a little intimidated by the whole process.
Old July 12th, 2002, 03:58 PM   #8
Paul in CA

Good to hear

that it's still going.

BTW, best of luck with ShartWorks!! I don't have a convertible otherwise I will buy the TouchTop from you too. ;-)

Paul
Old July 12th, 2002, 05:01 PM   #9
Loren

More info...

Looking into this company they sell the Homelink package as a kit for $160. The homelink transmitter supports 3 buttons (i.e. 2 garage doors and 1 security gate or whatever) and rolling codes (codes that change each time. Here is a photo and link.

Loren

JP Customs
Old July 17th, 2021, 08:32 AM   #10
kirlinpyht23

It took forever to test and verify all the various parts to support different doors but thats what we're going to do.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman