Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 28th, 2001, 11:43 PM   #1
Boxster Spice

New solution to the wiper blade chatter problem!

Let me start by describing the other solutions I have seen listed on this and the other board...

1. Take Bosch 43322, remove from spring, trim inch off rubber blade, insert in original OEM spring as replacement.

2. Tweak the angle of attack of the blade.

3. Change the pressure from the wiper arm.

4. Use Griots polish.

Okay, all 4 of those involved effort I never wanted to put forth. I mean, when it's bothering me, I'm on my way some place in the rain. When I'm in a position to try a fix, I'm not thinking about my blades. Plus, the only fix I thought would be reasonable was the first and that sounded like rediculous effort. It also made me think that there were no direct replacement wiper blades for the Boxster. I can't figure out why else to "manufacture" your own blade.

Anyway, after driving 2.5 hours in Bay Area traffic with a headache in the rain [each swipe of the blades screeching a virtual knife in my skull] I headed out to pick up those recommended Bosch blades. They weren't in stock, but they had a reference book on display which recommended 40922 for the Boxster. [Bosch Micro Edge 40922]. They were just $12/each and that was possibly the single best $24 I have EVER spent!!!!!

Wow, I just got back from a test drive after installing them and it's such a relief. I want the last year and a half of my life back. This fix is very easy, very cheap, and I highly recommend it for anyone unless you can safely say you will never, ever drive your Boxster in the rain. Total install time was about 5 minutes and required no tools.

These blades not only got rid of the chattering, they also got rid of the streaking. Completely.
Old December 29th, 2001, 01:33 PM   #2
Tool Pants

Good info Scott

I posted a picture on this board when I did this some time ago when I just replaced the rubber inserts with 43322. I did not replace the blades. 22 means it is 22 inches long, but the rubber on the boxster is a bit shorter than 22 inches, so you have to trim the inserts to match the length of the oem. In fact, the wiper blade on the passenger side is a bit shorter than the drivers side.

Sounds like you bought the blades with inserts. Is either side a bit to long?

Jeff
Old December 29th, 2001, 02:04 PM   #3
Boxster Spice

Re: Good info Scott

No. Actually, I took the new blades and put them next to the OEM blades and they are identical. Or at least no easily descernable difference. I had spent all this time assuming that my car must have come with some can't-find-in-America, special, Porsche only size or something. Maybe the rubber would not work in the OEM springs. But at $24 for the pair, just replace then whole package and don't worry about it.

I always liked how the Boxster handled in the rain. And I love my auto wipers. Now that I've fixed the blade chatter, I like it as a rain car. hehe. It should be my new beater. Okay, maybe that's a stretch.
Old December 30th, 2001, 01:07 AM   #4
Magic Mtn Dan

Blade chatter versus board chatter

I just put a set of Bosch Micro Edge wipers on my SUV and they're terrific. I'm sure they'll work great on the Boxster now that Scott's shown us the way.
Old December 30th, 2001, 12:38 PM   #5
Tool Pants

And the passenger oem blade is curved *NM*

Old December 30th, 2001, 04:37 PM   #6
Boxster Spice

You're right. I never noticed that.

I looked at my two OEM blades next to each other and there is a large curvature in one of them. I assume from your post that this was the passenger blade. I laid them next to each other and the ends of each blade line up. Meaning, they both sweep the same amount of the windshield, but one of them is longer and curved rather than straight.

I'm not sure what purpose curving the blade accomplishes, though. I have used my new straight blades for 3 days of rain driving now and they both work perfectly, no chatter, no streaking, and no missed spots. I think these blades might rely more heavily on the spring mechanism and/or the more flexible rubber. Not sure, but they work great.

As I spend more time with them in a wider variety of circumstances (varying winds and speeds), I'll repost if I notice any negative effects.
Old July 17th, 2021, 08:31 AM   #7
kirlinpyht23

In fact, the wiper blade on the passenger side is a bit shorter than the drivers side.

- https://lidarlosangeles.com/
kirlinpyht23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.