Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 14th, 2002, 12:06 PM   #1
Bruce DeBonis

Digital Radio in our Boxsters - Questions

Maybe one of you Babbler Wizards can help me?

I am fed up with crappy radio, both the programming and sound quality (FM can sound better!) in the Philadelphia area and am considering one of the new digital systems.

Anyone have any experience with these? Questions:

1- Does anyone have it in their Boxster?
2- XM or Serius: Pros and Cons?
3- Antenna – Where? Can you hide it in our Boxsters? Are both systems the same when it comes to Antennas?
4- Programming: Which is better? I like all kinds but love obscure rock from the 50s, 60s, & 70s and learning about new, contemporary rock with no gold teeth and cop killing lyrics or “I went to bed at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2”. (Sorry, I had to take a jab at pop culture.) I know this is a personal taste issue, but opinions are appreciated.

I just spent about an hour with a great system installer in Bryn Mawr, who did my Boxster as well as my previous car, and we discussed the antenna. They sell XM by the way.

Given our convertible tops, the only real place is on our dash boards. The antenna sucks. Period. It is black and a little fatter than a computer mouse. They noted that the antenna must be line of site but I do understand a little about radiated energy and that it will pass through plastic (I hope!). So after much discussing, I pulled out the plastic panel in the front hood, passenger side, that hides the pollen filter and noted there is quite a bit of room in there to install the antenna. The good news is that it is “outside” the car but under the bit of plastic between the windscreen and the hood where the wipers sit. My hope is that the plastic will not degrade the signal and that the hood won’t interfere too much. There is a steep angle from Philly to the satellite.

Goodman’s is going to run an experiment in another car and see if covering the antenna with thick plastic will degrade the signal. If it works, they said that they will install it where I want and take the product back if it doesn’t work as long as I pay for labor and incidentals. I think this is fair. So, we will see.
Old June 14th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #2
Larry Nakamura (In SJ)

I've seen XM antennas under the front hood.

Someone that actually has XM should reply
as to the reception. I've heard that you
can loose reception in some places. There
have been alot of stereo system upgrades
done by many Babblers.
Old June 14th, 2002, 05:34 PM   #3
RobynC

With regard to Satelite Radio

I have XM. The antenna is mounted in the front lid battery compartment. It works well and I'm pleased with the stealth location. Although I know this is not "ideal"...as really, the optimal solution would be to mount the antenna on the dash or somethwere that is more "in sight" ...However, I rarely have a time when I do not have a signal. In my garage is one for some weird reason....(it goes in and out) and sometimes under an overpass. But, otherwise, it's great. I would give it about a 95% on signal in this mounting area. Email me should you have any additional questions?

RobynC
Old June 14th, 2002, 06:19 PM   #4
Catalog Guy

Robyn's Antenna *NM*

Old June 14th, 2002, 09:25 PM   #5
x99shark

Re: Robyn's Antenna

Strange thing about XM reception.

I can get a perfect signal from INSIDE my garage. Also inside of Monney's shop, which has a pretty substantial roof. But if I drive under an underpass even for a second I get fade, even if it is a high narrow overpass. Very bizzare.

Oh, and hello from San Diego. It is SO NICE to be home, though I'll miss seeing you guys.

-Ed

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman