Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 8th, 2002, 03:28 PM   #1
bananas

Serious Suspension Issues:

I took my car into my local suspension shop where they have the latest equipment, all computerized, lasers, the works, and asked them to undo the 'track' settings that my local performance shop did because I wanted to try to make my tires last longer on the street and have a more "streetable" car.

Evidently, there is a problem. The driver's side rear toe cannot be adjusted any further, everything is maxed out and there is no turnbuckle or any adjustable control arm, everything is done via the cams and they are maxed and it still isn't right.

The following picture shows my suspension setup when the car came in and what they were able to do with it when they handed it back, although they did not work on the front very much because the back was so far out they didn't expect that it would make much difference until I take care of the rear toe issue.

My question is, how can I do so? Will new upper plates for the struts help? Is there an alternative lower control arm or toe adjustment arm that Porsche provides? I would appreciate any insight from someone with some serious suspension knowledge or a contact at Porsche who is going to know what to do about it.

BTW, I know the specs in the picture are for US Sport and I now have ROW Sport (Does anyone have those numbers for ROW btw?) but that doesn't change the fact that the toe can't be adjusted any further all that would do is alter the range in which items appear red, yellow, or green.

Old October 8th, 2002, 03:41 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

What alignment settings are you trying to get to? *NM*

Old October 8th, 2002, 03:53 PM   #3
bananas

I'd like...

To fix the TOE problem first, ultimately 1/2 degree negative camber all the way around, but I think I might have to settle for 1/2 degree up front and 1.5 degrees in the back. The TOE however is the issue currently. On the passenger side rear the Toe is within spec with the camber at a negative 1.5 degrees, not sure yet where it would be at negative .5 degrees because the other side is so far out on Toe even at negative 1.5 degrees camber. Does that make sense?
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:02 PM   #4
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I run...

Front: -0.9 Camber and 0 toe.
Rear: -1.9 Camber and 1/16" total toe-in.

These settings work fine for both the track AND the street. I got 13K street miles and 7 track days out of my first set of tires. they were worn very evenly across the surface.
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:55 PM   #5
bananas

1/16" total toe in is how many degrees?

I'm having trouble matching up your numbers with the picture of my read-out chart.
Old October 8th, 2002, 05:17 PM   #6
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: 1/16" total toe in is how many degrees?

Gee, it's pretty small. Something like .10 or .05 minutes or something. Unfortunately I can't locate my last settings that had it in degrees at the moment. Your shop should be able to do the conversion however.
Old October 10th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #7
RobynC

ROW Standards...

This is a bit hard to read, if you want, email me, and I will send this to you.

Robyn

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman