Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:12 PM   #1
r1rb

Tiptronic Steering Wheel Removal help

I want to do the 4 stalk obc hack and I have a tiptronic. All the instructions just show a standard wheel, what more is involved in removing the tiptronic wheel??

Thanks.
r1rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:27 PM   #2
LarryNakamura

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1rb
I want to do the 4 stalk obc hack and I have a tiptronic. All the instructions just show a standard wheel, what more is involved in removing the tiptronic wheel??

Thanks.
The quru for the OBC hack is Jeff (nickname Tool pants). He visits
renlist.com and will be able to answer your question. I have a manual
so don't know the diff in getting the steering wheel off. The OBC is
one of the best hacks to do. This is one of the common hacks that
he does almost every Saturday. If you are in the South bay area,
I suggest seeing if you can visit one of those hack days.
LarryNakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:48 PM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:

Thanks.
You can refer to these instructions. There will be more connectors to unplug but that's about it.

Detailed 4-stalk OBC Instructions
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:28 PM   #4
Magic Mtn Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
You can refer to these instructions. There will be more connectors to unplug but that's about it.

Detailed 4-stalk OBC Instructions

WARNING! This is NOT a simple hack. Unless you've done this before or at least have seen it done I do not recommend you do it yourself without help.

It could cost you a lot more than you bargained for if you screw up.

Good luck!
Magic Mtn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #5
r1rb

What Problems have you seen

Thanks for the warning. The instructions seem pretty clear...what problems have you seen? What should I look out for?

Thanks,
Ron
r1rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #6
Oggie (on L.I.)
Inactive

I did this a while ago on my 911 tiptronic. I had help from a Mercedes technician, who was familiar with opening up dashboards and removing steering wheels. Getting the wheel off is one of the easiest parts. With tip, you just have to unclip one more plug and then unplug it from the steering wheel. We did the install in 1.5 hours, and we weren't rushing it.

The biggest pitfall is opening up the connectors in the dash. The tech knew just how to do it, but I would have been a bit stumped as the instructions didn't cover this aspect. As I recall, the trick was a little arm that had to swung out of the way first before you could disconnect the connector. You may want to get some more input on this after re-reading the instructions.

Good luck.
Oggie (on L.I.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #7
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

You could just do the one switch hack...

I did that one myself, exactly as per Yoseif's instructions. It was pretty simple. I am completely satisfied with this hack using a switch instead of the full stalk assembly. The only function you don't get is the speed gong - not something I would ever want. This hack is also much less expensive than buying the stalk assembly.
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #8
Mein 986

OBC TIP HACK is...

Pretty straightforward. I did it myself a couple months ago. Make sure you properly space the assembly the right set back from the end of the steering wheel post or you will have rubbing or interferance. I'm not sure if the set back was in the instructions, any of them. Measure what you have on your car before you remove the present assembly.

Allen
Los Gatos
if you need email me privately and I'' give you a call
Mein 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 01:20 PM   #9
Magic Mtn Dan

Quote:
Thanks for the warning. The instructions seem pretty clear...what problems have you seen? What should I look out for?

Thanks,
Ron

Be careful with the airbag ring - if you break one of the clips on it it's about $120 to replace it.

You can do it - I was merely trying to caution folks as there are some areas that can cause problems. It's absolutely best to have someone help you.

Good luck!
I'm multi-tasking; I'm drinking beer and posting at the same time.
http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/...2BenXmas02.jpg
Magic Mtn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2021, 08:33 AM   #10
kirlinpyht23

The only function you don't get is the speed gong - not something I would ever want. This hack is also much less expensive than buying the stalk assembly.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman